Biopolymers are substances that are not suitable for human application that are used for fillings on different body parts with aesthetic purposes and good initial results but with serious consequences in the long term. Biopolymers are usually used by unscrupulous persons, they vary from liquid silicone, liquid Vaseline, paraffin, nonmedical forms of vitamin E, to vegetable or industrial oil.
Treatment for biopolymer disease (Iatrogenic alogenosis) is a comprehensive treatment that has a medical component and a surgical component. Medical treatment is based on taking medication that controls swelling response of the body against these products and are used on initial stages of treatment. Surgical treatment consists of removal of strange material. Direct extraction (scalp) shall be required or by liposuction of these substances with the sole purpose of reducing and controlling side effects.
Dr. Minyor Avellaneda
- Member of the Colombian Plastic Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery Society.
- Associated member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).
- Volunteer at Fundación Operación Sonrisa Colombia (Operation Smile Internacional).
- University of Birmingham, Alabama (United States), Observership.
- Maxillofacial and pediatric surgery atChildren's Hospital Alabama (United States)
- Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon, Universidad El Bosque.
- Physician - Surgeon Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá.